Blogging is an important skill you should engage in to increase traffic to your website. You know this is true, but you’re not sure what to do to make your blog stand out. Well, we’ve got some blogging tips for businesses that should help you make your blog one that you can be proud of. It’s not hard, but it does require time and effort to develop winning blogging skills.
- Write for your audience, not for you. People read blogs in their spare time; therefore, they want to read something that is interesting and relevant to them. Your blog should provide that type of content. You shouldn’t be too salesy or announce all of your latest initiatives. People will get bored if you just toot your own horn all the time. They want meaty, interesting content that relates to your industry and teaches them something. This may require that you do some research, but it is well worth the effort.
- Keep things personal. People will come to your blog to learn about you and your business. They want to know about your employees, company happenings, and other interesting things going on in your business. Blogs were originally online diaries. Create a conversational tone and don’t be afraid to put your opinions in your blog. People will want to see your company’s personality, many customers want to know who they are buying from before they make a purchase.
- Show, don’t tell. One of the best blogging tips for businesses is to show you audience why you’re a good business to patronize. Don’t just tell people all you have to offer. Provide customer testimonials and make your content interesting to your customers. If you’re launching a new customer service initiative, don’t just tell people about it. Write an article that gives them the information but also includes something they can use. You don’t want to write press releases and product descriptions. You want real, engaging content that readers will want to share with others.
- Don’t talk tech. We know that every industry has its own technical jargon. You know what it means, but your readers may not. If you have to use a technical term, make sure that you describe it fully so that a layperson can understand it. Better yet, don’t use the term at all. Also, steer clear of acronyms. People outside your industry aren’t going to know what they mean. It will be off-putting to your readers and could drive some of them away.
- Write about things people are already talking about. It’s pretty easy to figure out what people are talking about. You can check social media, the news, or whatever other resources you can think about. Google alerts are also helpful to let you know what people are looking for in your industry and related to certain keywords. If you can tie your content into something lots of people are talking about, your post may even go viral. That’s like hitting the blogging jackpot.
- Format your writing properly. Blog writing is unlike press release writing or other business writing. People tend to skim online content so you will want to include lists or subheadings whenever possible. You want to keep paragraphs short and use engaging images that entice people to read what you’ve written. Getting the attention of an online user is difficult, but not impossible. If you learn to write for the web, they will come.
- Strike a balance between quality and quantity. You want to always write quality content. Your business blog is an important communication tool for your business. It should be well-written and SEO-friendly. You should also write consistent content at least once a week. You want to have a lot of articles on your blog so people can browse and choose the ones they like the most. This keeps them on your website longer and can turn leads into sales.
We hope you enjoyed these blogging tips. More importantly, we hope that you use them on your business blog. For more blogging tips for businesses, we invite you to peruse our blog. We have plenty of tips and interesting information related to blogs and we’re always adding new items to our blog that should be of interest to you.